Monday 5 June 2017

Personal politics

Hello my lovely loves,
A couple of people have expressed to me recently their surprise that I get so involved and riled up about politics on social media.
I thought I'd take this opportunity to explain why it's so personal to me, particularly as the UK General Election is coming up.

When I got sick, my parents put their lives on hold and gave their home, their time, their money, and their support in helping me get better. They took me in and have done practically everything for me, including getting me help for my GP, and the NHS in general, finding private clinicians to help me manage my condition where the NHS lacks funding, and helping me apply for benefits to pay for the support that's been so vital in helping me improve.

There isn't a day that goes past where I'm not aware of how lucky I am that I have them to do these things, because, quite honestly, I'm not sure I'd still be here if I didn't.
It's all so terrifyingly obvious to me how impossible it would've been to cope without them; how easy it would've been to give up hope.

When I see those videos of people who've slipped through the cracks in the flawed system and are living in circumstances you can't believe are possible in the 4th biggest economy in the world, or I hear statistics about deaths and suicides related to benefits claimants being assessed wrongly, I'm looking at what my life could've been had I not been so lucky in the family I was given.
That could've been me so, so easily. And it could be anyone, you or someone you love, because anyone can get sick, or become disabled, at any time.

So, yes, I take my politics seriously. Because it is personal.

1 comment:

  1. Here here! You're a blumming inspiration, Radenkova. Don't ever let anyone tell you different -x-x-

    ReplyDelete