Wednesday 8 April 2020

A Housebound Eco Guide: Part Two

PART ONE ~ PART TWO ~ PART THREE ~ PART FOUR

Hello my lovely loves!

Let's jump right in and head to the bathroom for eco makeup, haircare and dental health! Let's see if we can save you money, energy and the planet.


Bathroom


Contact Lens Recycling 

Contact lens wearers can also do their bit by giving their lens waste to Acuvue who run a recycling programme in partnership with TerraCycle. They have drop off points at various participating opticians which you can find online. 

Accepted items include any brand of blister packaging, foil, or soft, disposable contact lenses (daily, 2-weekly or monthly).



Mascara Wand Donation

You may have seen an image doing the rounds social media about a wildlife centre in Aberdeenshire requesting old mascara wands to clean and brush animals. 
I’ve double checked and that centre is no longer accepting donations (they have ended up with an absurd number and literally don’t have room for any more), but it might be worth asking your local wildlife centres if that’s something they’d be interested in.


Eco-Makeup

Just because you’re sick doesn’t mean you don’t want to look good, so as well as reusing mascara wands, there are also more products becoming available in the realms of eco-friendly makeup.

Eco Stardust is a company that creates plant-based biodegradable glitter, which the craft-person in me is very happy about. I’m waiting impatiently for them to add iridescent glitter to their books.
They also run a non-bioglitter amnesty, where people can send in their plastic based glitter and receive a 15% voucher from their store. This glitter is then recycled into more long term projects, like the creation of resin jewellery. 10% of their profits also go to various charities to help clean the oceans.



If eyeliner is your thing you can even find refillable liquid eyeliner from Zao, or go for a more double-duty option and look at products that double as mascara and eyeliner (and, if you’re careful, eyebrow filler), like cake mascaras. There are a few of these around, from smaller specifically eco-brands like Bain and Savon, or larger ones like Bésame

I’ve got to say I treated myself to the Bésame one, because it’s a specifically vintage-themed brand, and that’s my jam. The tin it comes in is to die for, and once you’ve finished the cake you can buy refills. They also do cream rouges that would work as an eco-option.





You can also DIY your own eyebrow gel by using glycerin soap. 
I know soap brows are something of a trend already, but they're worth mentioning not only because they don't end up using many plastic tubes of gel, but because they are cheaper and (in my opinion) work better than bought brow gel.

Just get a bar of glycerin soap (I use Pear's original - the blue one works too, but you risk having a slight blue tint if you use too much), dampen a clean mascara wand, rub it in the soap and brush through your brow. Job done.


If this is something you’d be interested in, I’d really recommend checking out these two articles on brands that keep ethics in mind.
The first is from the Independent, and the second from Sustainable Jungle.




Eco-Shampoo

Shampoo can be a difficult one, simply because the act of washing hair can be exhausting, and ingredients can irritate our skin more than usual, but there are some options we can try if you’re up to it. Again, if not, that’s fine.

Shampoo Bars

Shampoo bars are a great way of ditching plastic packaging associated with hair care. Much like soap, you lather them up, either in your hands or on your hair, and then wash.
The pro of this is that shampoo bars are usually lighter than shampoo bottles, but some don’t foam quite as easily as liquid shampoo so they may require a little more scrubbing. Some options are available that contain SLS (sodium laureth sulphate), which are more like traditional shampoos.
Those without SLS tend to contain more oils, like coconut oil, which often mean you may need to seal the hair after with conditioner, or, if you prefer an acid rinse. Some people, however, get on fine just using the shampoo bars and nothing else.
For those options that don’t contain SLS it may take a little time for your hair to adjust to the new formula.

Many brands also offer conditioner bars as well as shampoo.

Here are some options with good reviews.

£8 for 100g bar. A more expensive option, but with many different scents available. Contains SLS, so maybe be better suited to those who prefer a more traditional shampoo.

£4.50 per 100g bar, and come in unscented options if you have problems with perfumes. No SLS.

Again, £4.50 per 100g bar, with a variety of scents. No unscented options as yet. No SLS.

£2.60 per 95g bar. Variety of scents. No SLS.

£15 per 150g bar. More expensive, but £1 of each bar goes to charities helping young people facing mental health issues. This one also seems to be pretty popular with people who’ve never tried shampoo bars before.

£9.50 for 27 individual shampoo or conditioner cubes that dissolve to be used. Each cube has the exact amount you need each time. Plus you can also order samples for much cheaper to give them a go.
Rather than specific fragrances, there are different formulations designed to cater to different hair types. No SLS.


Plastic Free Brands

If you’re certain you want a liquid shampoo then these brands do exist, but they are really expensive. We Are Paradoxx, for example, are an entirely plastic free haircare brand but it’s £18 for a bottle of shampoo.
If I win the lottery maybe I’ll check this option out...


Avoid Black Plastic

If shampoo bars aren’t going to work for you, and other options are (understandably) outside your price range then try to avoid haircare that comes in black plastic bottle. It’s apparently harder to recycle than other options.
There are also some shampoo brands that either use recycled materials for their bottles, or donate to recycling schemes, or have recyclable bottles. 

I currently use Good Bubble shampoo and conditioner. It’s formulated for children so it doesn’t irritate my scalp (a rarity), it’s inexpensive, and the packaging is recyclable.


For more info on eco-shampoo you can check out these articles. One from the Standard, and one from the Independent.



Siliscrub brush 

This one is a bit random, but I’ve been trying to think of a way to tell you guys about it for ages. Consider a silicrub brush; a silicone brush that you use to help wash your hair. 
I’ve used one for a while. No only does it create a better lather, so less shampoo is needed in the first place (yay green), it saves SO much energy. I feel like I’m getting a much cleaner and less irritated scalp, my dandruff has improved significantly, and it doesn’t hurt or wear out my hands in the way that scrubbing used to.
10/10, would recommend.



Eco Dry Shampoo

We all know that as much as you might want to wash your hair, sometimes it just ain’t happening. All hail the dry shampoo. Although aerosol cans are technically more recyclable than plastic, it’s better still to avoid them if possible.
It’s also very hard to find unscented aerosol dry shampoos, so here the eco market actually might have the advantage.

A 140g Tube is £9.95, but you can also get 200g refills thereafter for £5.95, so it's a pretty decent price. They also come in a lighter and darker option to blend better with your hair. It’s made from plant powders and clays.



I’ve given this one a go and I think it’s actually pretty good. There is a lime and Grapefruit scent, but it’s very faint, so even my sharp nose can’t really tell unless I inhale directly (which I wouldn’t recommend). It definitely made my hair look less greasy and didn’t irritate my scalp.
One thing I would say with these type of applicators is that it’s much better to sprinkle some into your hand first, or you may end up with a bit too much.



This one comes in at £12 for 35g, which seems kind of ridiculous, but I guess it’s difficult to tell given how light powders are. In photos the tub looks bigger than the KiteNest one is, so I can’t tell you for certain which is the better deal,.
The plus side of this is that there are only two ingredients in it, rice starch and vegetable extract of some kind. No scent, and no other irritants, which if you’re particularly sensitive might win you over.



Low flow showerhead

While you’re washing your hair you can also save water by using a low flow showerhead. These just screw into place on your current shower set up.
There are so many of these available that I honestly don’t know where to start. Instead of listing the pros and cons of various shower heads on this already worryingly long post, here is an article comparing some.


Eco Toilet Brush

This is what my life has become now. Discussing the best kind of toilet brushes for you to use. But I must attempt to accept my lot with grace and give you some options.

Wooden Toilet Brush
For a more traditional loo brush, you can skip the plastic and go for this weird chic wooden brush and metal bucket from Boobalou. It’s £9.75 for the smaller one, and the bucket comes in cream or silver.




Flush Brush
If you want to try something a little bit more updated there’s the kickstarter for the Flush Brush. This is a silicone brush that detaches from the handle, with the head left indirect flow of the toilet’s flush in a specific cradle. The handle can go in the provided stand. 
It’s meant to be more hygienic and longer lasting, particularly as you can replace the head and keep the handle.
I don’t have a picture of this one, and honestly I’m not sure I can adequately explain it, so check out the Kickstarter here.



Hair Removal

If you’re happy being your fuzzy little self then there’s no reason to read this section, but if you prefer options for eco hair removal then here are some things you can consider:

Safety razors

Double edged safety razors have been used since the 1900s as an alternative to cutthroat razors. They are shaped very similarly to modern razors but either unscrew or flip open. 
Instead of having to replace the entire razor, or bulky, plastic heavy razor heads, the only thing that needs to be changed is the blade, and those blades are (obviously) metal, and therefore highly recyclable.

I have one of these and I LOVE it. I was hesitant of these at first because they look a bit scary and I’m extremely clumsy when it comes to shaving, but I’m a complete convert. I haven’t cut myself ONCE. That doesn’t sound like a big deal, but it is.

This has been my favourite green purchase because it looks lovely, irritates my skin less and has saved me SO much money.
I bought a long-handled safety razor from Edwin Jagger (long handled are recommended for use on the body and if you have grip problems) for £28. I could’ve saved myself money and got myself a cheaper one (they start from about £12), but I know myself well enough to know that once I saw one I thought was pretty I would invariably end up buying it at some point, and it would be cheaper to just buy the pretty one. It came with one razor blade.
My step dad had an old bristle shaving brush he doesn’t use, so I got that for free, and then bought a starter pack of 25 razor blades for £5.95 and some shave soap for about £6.
You don’t technically need special soap, a glycerin based one like pears will work fine, but I wanted to make sure I wasn’t going to get any skin irritation. And my one smells like almonds!

I also got a blade tin to put all my used blades to make recycling easier (the whole thing is recycled once full) and to prevent injuries on old blades.



At that point a pack of four replacement razor heads was £20. For just over £40 I got a full shaving kit. I could have easily spent less. I’ve had it for just over ten months and I’ve not had to buy a thing towards shaving since. I’ve still got at least 8 blades left in the starter pack and I’ve barely made a dent in the shaving cream. (Would recommend the Shark and Astra blades the most.)

I think shaving your face would mean you went through more blades, but it’s still so much cheaper, and so much better for the environment. And of course you’d be likely to have a shave brush or soap already, so you’d save money there.

Double edged Safety razor with 5 Shark blades - £14

An extra pound for rose gold!


(Full disclosure, I’ve yet to use my safety razor on my legs so I can’t offer my personal experience on that front, but I know lots of people do and they’re really happy with the performance. I can personally say it’s great for underarms.)

The main difference between safety razors and modern ones is maintenance. You really have to make sure the razor is left clean and dry after each use to prevent rusting.
At first I was worried I would find that too exhausting, but honestly I just run water through it thoroughly and then sit down on the lid of the loo, unscrew it fully and dry the pieces. I have to sit down after washing anyway, and if I’m not up to maintenance then I probably wouldn’t be up to shaving in the first place.
Perhaps if it was something I did every day I might feel differently, but it’s actually quite therapeutic.

If you don’t feel this is something you could manage, or you don’t feel comfortable (or safe) owning or handling open blades then there are plenty of other options.


Electric Shavers

If the idea of using a safety razor sounds too exhausting then consider an electric shaver. Although they’re made of plastic and run on electricity, they’re rechargeable and don’t need to be replaced regularly.

There’s also a big upside in that they’re used dry, so if you want to shave but have very little energy you can even stay in bed and use it. Although I’d maybe put a towel down first.
It’s also not quite as close a shave, so regrowth is considerably less itchy and irritating.



I use this one for my legs and I love it. It’s very small so I don’t get tired using it and it doesn’t take up much space. I’ve had it over two year and it works just as well as the day I bought it.

Am I rolling my eyes at it being called a “lady shaver”? Yes. Will I forgive them because it’s available in a pretty colour that isn’t pink? Also yes.

If you want you can also look into epilators or sugar waxing as a green hair removal alternative, but you’d be a braver human than me.


Dental Health

Of all the areas where I’m most careful it’s this one. Despite my efforts my teeth have always had the strength of wet tissue, so I’m super careful when it comes to trying new things with them.
If you’re house- or bed-bound having regular dental health checkups is pretty difficult, so try to listen to your dentist’s advice. For example, mine is pretty clear that I need to be using a toothpaste that includes fluoride, so that discounts most green toothpaste options.
There’s only one plastic free option I’ve found that contains fluoride and it’s this…

Plastic Free Toothpaste


£3.50 for 62 tablets.
These tablets are individual servings of your toothpaste that you just chew and use as normal. They come in a metal tin, and you can also buy packs of refills. Do be careful when choosing them because there are fluoride-free versions as well.

Although they are mint flavoured, I have actually tried these and it’s honestly a bit like chewing a minty dishwasher tablet, so don’t be shocked when you give them a go.
They did clean my teeth well, but I was having some gum issues at the time, so I decided to give them a rest until I had a handle on that.


Electric Toothbrushes and heads

Electric toothbrushes are something I’d really recommend as an energy saver. It seems like a small thing, but it can really make a difference. I ended up asking for one for my birthday one year (what an exciting life I lead) and I haven’t regretted it.

£8-10 for two recyclable heads (shop around)
If you already have an electric toothbrush then you can get recyclable thermoplastic heads for certain models.
This company makes ones for Oral B models that you can then collect and send back to them for recycling.
These fit my toothbrush so I’ve ordered a couple to try!

Georganics makes their own Sonic Toothbrush for £48.90, with replacement heads coming in at £6.90 for two.
The entire toothbrush is recyclable by them, and their zero to landfill scheme allows you to save toothbrush heads and sonic handles (minimum 10 heads) and return them Freepost to Geroganics for recycling.


Biodegradable toothbrushes

If you’re not able to splash out for an electric toothbrush there are plenty of biodegrade manual options made from wood.

Beech toothbrushes from £4.40

Subscription service. New biodegradable bamboo toothbrush every month or two. £25 a year for a new adult toothbrush every two months (£4.17 a brush)

From £3.60 per bamboo toothbrush. Variety of colours and the handles compostable.

Pack of four bamboo brushes £10.99
Bambaw support the fight against plastic pollution, donating a percentage of profits to charitable organisations The Plastic Soup Foundation and the 5 Gyres Institute.
Bristles recyclable, handles compostable.

Bamboo brushes £3.99 per brush
Every humble purchase goes towards funding oral health projects for children in need.
Handles compostable.


Interdental brushes

If you need to get in between your teeth occasionally like me (yay, wisdom teeth), then you can also get eco interdental brushes.

Humble bamboo interdental brushes are approximately £4 and come in a variety of thicknesses.
I’m suuuuper picky about interdental brushes because the gaps between my teeth are really small, and I’m really happy with these.
There are mixed reviews online about how long they last, but the thinnest ones last the same amount of time as my old plastic ones did, and I’ve not had any extra problems with the wire coming away from the handle.


Floss

I’m yet to find a green alternative to my dental tape that will actually fit in between my teeth. Even normal floss won’t, I have to use a specific flat nylon tape or I spend a good 10 minutes hyperventilating when I can’t get the floss unstuck. 
You would think my teeth being so close together would mean they wouldn’t need flossing anyway. Nope. Still necessary.
If you have any leads on one, please give me a shout in the comments. In the mean time, here are some options for people with teeth that aren’t determined to create an impenetrable wall.

£3.50 for 50 bamboo threaded picks (Also do normal floss in plastic container)

£4.50 for 30 metres.

£6.29

£7.50 Comes in a glass bottle. Refills available.

£4.90. Comes in a glass bottle.


I’ve also heard about water picks that shoot a concentrated jet of water for you to clean in between your teeth, but honestly that sounds very tiring and messy to use. 




Next time we'll be back to the bathroom for deodorant, ear care, nail care and menstrual options. Exciting times.



PART ONE ~ PART TWO ~ PART THREE ~ PART FOUR

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for another great blog post Hannah. Will be taking a closer look into that silicone brush- it reminds me of those kids bouncy balls with little knubs that were great to fidget with.
    You're not alone in the "teeth are jammed together like sardines" struggle. Ordinary floss is exhausting to use and gets shredded by trying to force it between my teeth.
    I use a right-angle plastic flosser by Plackers- a piece of strong floss held between a fork of plastic. I can't seem to find a less waste alternative but I justify my use of them by washing and reusing a flosser until it dies. Also saves energy.

    Looking forward to next post.

    ReplyDelete